Physical therapy can help individuals by alleviating or removing pain, without the need of medication or surgery. To make a booking or find out more about physical therapy, call Rock Creek Spine & Rehabilitation Center at
Do you suffer from injuries such as muscle strains, joint pain, tendonitis, muscle pain, ligament sprains, cartilage tears or bad posture? These are some of the most common injuries to treat with physical therapy.
Rock Creek Spine & Rehabilitation Center’s physical therapy division helps each individual by promoting recovery and healing. Studies conducted on physical therapy have found that it is an efficient and effective method of lowering inflammation and pain that is caused by various injuries. The results of physical therapy include better function and attitude towards life.
The musculoskeletal treatments aim to improve movement by focusing on the reasons that movement is hindered, instead of only focusing on the inflammation and pain symptoms. Some of the most common issues that are treated with physical therapy include:
- Shoulder and elbow joints injuries or trauma
- Knee, hip, ankle and foot joints injuries or trauma
- Neck, spine, ribs, pelvis, TMJ and lower back dysfunction
- Tendonitis, muscle strains and tears
- Other sports-related injuries
Musculoskeletal injuries often interfere with muscles, joints, tendons, bones, menisci and ligaments. The most common impairments to the body as a result include lack of movement ability, inflammation, pain, muscle and joint weakness.
Benefits of Physical Therapy
The main goal of physical therapy is to restore the patient’s body in order to improve their quality of life. This often means enhancing mobility and reducing pain. Some of the benefits of physical therapy include:
- Improved motion and mobility – Movement is vital to our overall health. Lack of movement can lead to an increased risk of obesity, stroke and heart attacks. Our bodies need to be able to move frequently in order to maintain a balanced system in the body and mind. Physical therapy helps increase, repair and support mobility and motion.
- Eliminate Prescription Drugs or Surgery – Studies suggest that physical therapy can be a cost-effective option instead of taking prescription drugs or having surgery. There are a number of ailments that can be treated through physical therapy alone, such as meniscal tears and back pain. It is suggested that individuals suffering from musculoskeletal disorders should try physical therapy before undergoing surgery or becoming dependent on prescription drugs.
- Aid in Recovery – Physical therapy is all about the patient and their unique needs. Each patient receives a personalized treatment plan that considers the patient’s requirements, difficulties and goals. Being able to play an active part in their recovery is an empowering act that helps increase recovery speed and outcome.
What Happens During Physical Therapy?
One of the main features of physical therapy is that it is designed to cater to each person’s unique needs. This form of treatment recognizes the fact that not everyone will respond to treatment in the same way. Factors that determine the body’s response include:
- Body type
- Movement/Physical activity
Physical therapy often uses a combination of active and passive therapy in order to reduce pain. Passive and active physical therapy treatments include:
- Hot/cold packs
- Pain reducing exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Low-impact exercises